11 Ways to Quickly Cool Down Before You Lose Your Cool
(In extreme cases of stress)
- 1-STOP and take notice of the situation.
- 2-Be Silent. Choose not to respond.
- 3-Take a deep breath.
- 4-Get a drink of water.
- 5-Take two more deep breaths.
- 6-Take a walk around the room.
- 7-In a dire emergency: Open the door and ask your colleague to watch your class for a moment so you can take a quick walk, take a few breaths and physically remove yourself from the situation. (Be gone for no more than 2-3 minutes. They have class to teach too. This should not be repeated more than once every couple of weeks.)
- 8-Give your students an independent assignment (preplanned and ready to go in a manila envelope) and put on some calming music.
- 9-Once you feel your heartbeat calm down, you relax, and regain your cool, you can then address the situation.
- 10-Be proactive, reflect on the situation and make necessary plans so this does not occur again. (Hint: Moving the student out of your class is not a recommended solution. Creating a respectful bond and behavior plan is.)
- 11-Go home as soon as school ends to relax and unwind. Take some personal time and reflect on how you can best address the situation. But come in early the next morning to prepare so the same stress does not repeat itself.
Sign up for Teach Title One Website